ripcord

blue exorcist, okumura yukio & shima renzou

date posted: 2021-12-23

summary: "They should've seen you - I'm sure they would've been proud now,"

word count: 280 words


The edges of the lab coat hang loosely on his shoulders, the eyepatch concealing his eye tight on his face, and for the first time, he resents having to wear a uniform, having to label himself. Having to pick a side.

Across from him, Renzou surveys the area around them, calmly leans against the sterile wall behind them, about as radiant as the rest of the ship, but not nearly as warm as the tone suggests. It's just them in the large hallway, as it always is this late - Renzou's scanning his surroundings, again, making note of potential risks, advantages. Sometimes Yukio wonders how Renzou registers himself in that, and how he notes who he considers his friends, family. Yukio wonders how he factors into it sometimes, as volatile as he is now.

Sometimes, he wonders how Renzou sees from his perspective, how he registers the inevitability of some things. How he settles for it, makes do with it.

"They should've seen you," Renzou breathes from beside him, slipping a phone into his pocket, one unfamiliar to Yukio. "I'm sure they would've been proud now, of your power - you were never like that, before," he settles, and pushes off the wall. Yukio briefly looks away from the floor, then turns back and steps forward.

"I don't want anyone to see anything," he bites back, listlessly. "Not them. I don't know why you care." Renzou only shrugs and walks forward, and Yukio goes after him, wondering why he even bothers.

By the time they reach the next hallway, Renzou's gone down the other way. Yukio disappears into his room, and finds that the static around him is no different from before.


notes: running into rin and co was the last thing yukio needed here but oh well. basically a songfic.